If you’re new to vaping, it can be a bit difficult to grasp the seemingly foreign language of vaping. Even if you have been a vape enthusiast for a while, new vape vocabulary pops up as technology advances and evolves. If you’ve ever come across a word you don’t recognize on our website or a vaporizer forum, our Guide to Vape Vocabulary should have your answer! Read on for definitions and explanations of common vaping terms, parts, and accessories.
- The most popular and common style of threading for e-cigarettes.
- Another threading style. Uses female threading. Is not compatible with 510 threading.
- Batteries typically considered good for sub-ohming.
- A two-part e-cigarette which is made up of a battery and a cartomizer.
- A three-part e-cigarette which is made up of a battery, an atomizer, and a cartridge.
- A device used to allow two otherwise incompatible threadings to pair. For example, a 901 atomizer can be paired to a 510 battery using a dual-threaded adapter between the two connections. This allows further customization of the vaping experience.
- Air flow control. The ability to control the air flow within the vaporizer, which can result in a desired thickening of vapor clouds.
- A feature on many tanks, which allows more air to flow through the vaporizer, resulting in thicker vapor clouds, more vapor, or cooler vapor.
- A regular traditional cigarette consisting of processed tobacco wrapped in paper, usually with a filter.
- A process used to seal and finish aluminum, which increases resistance to wear and corrosion of parts including threaded components.
- Advanced personal vaporizer. Usually features a larger battery with variable voltage or wattage. May also be referred to as a mod (modified e-cigarette) or mods.
- AKA atty. The component of a vaporizer pen which uses a heating element to convert e-liquid into vapor. Generally made up of a heating coil and wick.
- The powering component of a vaporizer, which conducts electricity to the heating element. Batteries range in size and power.
- A vaporizer that features a box shape. Available in varying wattages including 10-30 watts, 50-80 watts, and 100+ watts.
- An all-in-one cartridge system for eliquids. Generally disposable and less expensive than cartirdges and atomizers. The tank of a cartomizer often holds more ejuice than a cartridge.
- A combination of a tank and mouthpiece, which houses eliquid. May come pre-filled or be sold ready to fill. Some are refillable but require occasional cleaning.
- Comprised of multiple pieces including a tank for liquids, an atomizer, and a mouthpiece.
- Thick, dense, foggy vapor exhaled when vaping ecigarettes.
- The wire material used in a device to conduct electricity, causing heat to vaporize the e-juice.
- AKA pull, puff, or hit. The act of inhaling through the mouthpiece of a vape.
- To drop small droplets of e-liquid onto an atomizer.
- A kit designed for dripping eliquid. Features a battery, atomizer, and drip tip.
- An accessory designed to enhance a vaporizer mouthpiece by allowing the user to drip e-juice directly onto an atomizer or cartomizer without requiring the user to remove the tip first.
- AKA electronic cigarette, ecig, ecigarette, e-cigarette, or alternative cigarette. A technologically advanced alternative to traditional cigarettes which allows users to vaporize nicotine and non-nicotine eliquid without many of the harmful side effects caused by smoking traditional combustible cigarettes.
- Reddit /r/electronic_cigarette/ - A great source of news, tips, and user reviews on vaping products.
- Standard threading used on the Ego battery. The battery features male threading, so the base of the cartomizer must feature female threading in order to pair.
- AKA e-liquid, ejuice, e-juice, liquid, or juice. The liquid solution that is vaporized within the atomizer tank, generally made up of a mix of vegetable glycerin (VG), propylene glycol (PG), flavoring, and often nicotine.
- Produces heat by sending an electric current through a conductive material to cause vaporization.
- AKA high voltage. Refers to a vape that operates above 3.7 volts.
- Lithium-ion battery. The primary power source of most vaporizers, as they are considered to be the most powerful batteries currently available on the market. They are rechargeable, relatively compact size, and able to sustain a charge.
- AKA milliampere-hour. Describes the battery capacity or the energy charge a battery will hold before requiring it to be recharged.
- AKA modification. Originally used to refer to a modified vaporizer, the term mod now commonly refers to any vaporizer that is not a basic pre-filled ecigarette.
- Nickel–metal hydride, which refers to a type of rechargeable battery. Considered more durable than Li-ion batteries.
- A unit of electrical resistance. Lower Ohm numbers indicate lower resistance, which causes faster heating.
- AKA propylene glycol. One of the two main ingredients used as the base for eliquids (along with VG).
- AKA rebuildable atomizer, RTA, or rebuildable tank atomizer. Features a tank to hold extra liquid, so a user can vape for longer periods without needing to refill with e-juice.
- AKA rebuildable dripping atomizer or dripper. The most common type of rebuildable atomizer, an RDA has no tank, so the e-juice is contained in the wick, coil, and liquid well. Requires the user to add ejuice more often than an RBA, but it also provides a more consistent vapor.
- An introductory package designed for new vape users, which contains all necessary hardware to begin vaping. Usually composed of one or more batteries, cartomizers/atomizers/clearomizers, a charger, and a mouthpiece or drip tip. Some starter kits contain pre-filled cartridges, but most users prefer instead to choose the best eliquid for their preferences and purchase their favorite eliquid separately.
- A practice used by experienced vape enthusiasts involving the use of a coil with a resistance of less than 1.0 Ohm, intended to produce a thicker and more flavorful vapor cloud.
- A cartridge that holds a sizable amount of liquid, generally used with a cartomizer or atomizer.
- The gaseous form of a liquid substance such as e-juice. When exhaled vapor appears as a fog, often referred to as a vapor cloud.
- The physical space that vapor passes through in a vaporizer. The elements used to make up the vapor path can effect the quality and aroma of the vapor.
- AKA vape pen, pen vape, or pen-style vape. A vaporizer made in a cylindrical, pen-shaped form for increased portability and discretion. Pen vaporizers are made up of a battery, a heating element, and a mouthpiece.
- AKA vegetable glycerin. One of the two main ingredients used as the base for eliquids (along with PG). VG has a sweet taste and high concentrations of VG in ejuice will produce thicker vapor.
Images via VapeRanger.com
Images via VapeRanger.com